Welcome to the January Carnival of Natural Parenting: Parenting resolutions!
This post was written for inclusion in the monthly Carnival of Natural Parenting hosted by Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama. This month we’re writing about how we want to parent differently — or the same — in the New Year. Please read to the end to find a list of links to the other carnival participants.
Before Axel was born, I had many ideas about what type of a mother I would be. Everything was figured out. I would do “this,” I wouldn’t do “that.” However, like many mothers find, things don’t always go according to plan. I quickly found myself feeling overwhelmed with guilt for not sticking to every little thing. In my mind, I was always doing something wrong, whether that be not holding him enough, not playing with him enough, or just not being a good mother in general. I frequently doubted myself, and now I see how silly that was.
Nobody is perfect, and I now realize that I haven’t done as bad a job as I originally thought. For the most part, I’ve lived according to the principles that are most important to me. For my own record, I decided to make a list of the things I’ve done this past year that have made me proud or not so proud, and I thought it would also be helpful to write a list of things I would like to do better in 2010. Maybe I’ll do this every year, and I’ll show the lists to Axel when he’s older. Kind of a neat idea, don’t you think?
- Natural, drug-free childbirth (I did it! It was the most magical experience of my life. It changed me forever.)
- Skin to skin contact (Yes! Axel has spent much time close to my skin, including right after the birth!)
- Breastfeeding exclusively (I’m so blessed! My boy has been a champion nurser, and my milk supply has remained plentiful.)
- No pacifiers (No. I failed the test. He didn’t use them often, but he did some during his first couple months of life.)
- No disposable diapers (I did use a few, for the first 2 weeks, or so. I hang my head in shame.)
- Cloth Diapers (Yes, except for the first 2 weeks, we have used cloth. They are so cheap, and easy, too! They kept us from going broke this year)
- Practice Elimination Communication (Woohoo! We started when he was 3 weeks old, and it’s been a great success!)
- Baby-wearing (Yeah! We love our Ergo and Moby!)
- Co-sleeping (Yay, our little guy sleeps with us! It’s so comforting being near him throughout the night.)
- I’ve become more understanding towards other parents and their child raising choices. Not everything works for everyone.
- I’ve learned to be more patient
- I’ve become more responsible for my actions (not by choice, I was just kind of forced to :)
- I figured out that it’s not all about me. (I know, that’s hard to believe.)
Things I Want To Do Better In 2010
- I want to become less selfish
- I want to concentrate more on my relationship with my husband
- I want to be more nurturing, and understanding towards Axel
- I want to spend more time outdoors with my family, enjoying God’s beautiful Creation
- I want to teach my son about the world, through being a good example
- I want to be slow to anger
- I want to continue to grow the bond between me and my child, by being sensitive to his needs and desires
- I want to love others before myself
Wow, it looks like I have quite a bit of work to do before the year’s end. I better get on it!
Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:
(This list will be updated Jan. 12 with all the carnival links.)